Top News

Liverpool Lions Club damaged in fire

A recent fire caused damage to the clubroom at the Lions Club in Liverpool. The fire broke out between Oct. 15 and 16. - AETHNE HINCHLIFFE
A recent fire caused damage to the clubroom at the Lions Club in Liverpool. The fire broke out between Oct. 15 and 16. - AETHNE HINCHLIFFE

Bingo night will be postponed after fire in clubroom on lower level

LIVERPOOL, NS - When Terry Whynott went in to the Lions Club on Church Street in Liverpool at Oct. 16, he knew something wasn’t right.

It was about about 8:30 a.m. and it was obvious there was a fire.

“You could see where the smoke came up underneath the walls, so I figured it was downstairs,” he said.

Whynott went downstairs and opened the door. As soon as he looked inside, he called the fire department.

“The fire was already out when I got here,” Whynott explained.

The fire happened sometime between Sunday night and Monday morning.

There was quite a bit of damage downstairs, where the clubroom is located. The space will have to be gutted.

Whynott said a paper shredder might have been the cause. The shredder was in the bingo room – a room about the size of a walk-in closet.

The recent fire means the popular bingo games will be delayed. The radio bingo happens every Wednesday night at the club.

As far as the cost goes, Whynott said that’s still being determined. He said it could be two or three months before the clubroom’s damage is repaired.

“Most of our activities are on the top floor here,” Whynott.

Recent Stories