Tall ships making a port of call to Shelburne Aug. 14 and 15 as part of Rendez-vous 2017 sailed into the harbour on Monday morning, docking at the Shelburne Marine Terminal.
The ships and their crews were greeted by re-enactors, a bagpiper, cake, smiles and a curious public, eager to get a closer look at ships.
Monday's events included tall ships access, Museum by the Sea special activities, guided kayak tours, a bee keeper demonstration, live music, a lumberjack show and axe throwing demonstrations, longboat row and rides, and an outdoor lobster supper. Fireworks were planned for the Sheburne waterfront at 10 a.m.
Scroll through this posting to see the schedule of what's on tap for Tuesday, Aug. 15:
• 9:00AM–3:00PM Guided Kayak Tours by Candlebox Kayaking. Shelburne Harbour Yacht Club, 107 Water Street. Join Candlebox Kayaking for a special 2 hour guided kayak tour around the Shelburne Harbour and explore the Tall Ships from the water.
Tickets are $55 per person with departures available at 9am/12pm/3pm Book your spot: https://candleboxkayaking.com/bookings
• 9:30AM–5:30PM Museums by the Sea – Special Activities (Regular museum entrance fees apply). Shelburne’s Historic Waterfront Museums by the Sea, Dock Street. Stop by the Dory Shop Museum for a Tour, drop-in to the County Museum from 11am-3pm for the Lil’ Buccaneers Kids program & activities, visit the Ross-Thomson House for a demonstration of 18th Century living and 3pm learn about Historic Shelburne waterfront on one of their guided walking tours.
• 10:00AM-CLOSE Market booths, open to the public. Fisherman’s Memorial Park, Dock Street, Shelburne Waterfront. Various vendors selling their wares from arts and crafts to food.
• 10:00AM–5:30PM Mill Building Historical Information Sessions. Mill Building, 9 George Street. Learn about Shelburne’s shipbuilding history and the role of the Mill Building with local historians.
• 11:00AM–4:00PM Tall Ships Access. Shelburne Marine Terminal (95 Water Street) and Town Dock (14 Dock Street). Free public access to visiting Tall Ships. Tickets or bracelets not required. Photo ID may be requested.
• 12:00PM–1:00PM Bee Keeper Demonstration by Chestnut Hill Farms. Fisherman’s Memorial Park, Dock Street, Shelburne Waterfront. Come find out all about Honey Bees from head Bee Keeper Greg Sutcliffe in this informative experience.
• 12:00PM–2:00PM Seafood Chowder and Craft Beer Tasting Event. Shelburne Guild Hall, 11 Maiden Lane. Live music, the unveiling of a new specially created ale from Boxing Rock Brewing Company and an opportunity to sample some of the South Shore’s best seafood chowder are on tap for this event. FREE sampling while supplies last. Vote for your favourite seafood chowder along with our judges to see who wins.
• 1:00PM–2:30PM 18th Century Loyalist Re-enactment. Shelburne Waterfront, Dock Street. Watch as the Loyalist Regiment march along Dock Street, and re-enact various battle elements in the 18th century.
• 1:00PM–4:00PM Shelburne Longboat Row and Ride. Shelburne Marine Terminal, 95 Water Street. Go for a row or a ride in replica 18th Century wooden Longboat with the Shelburne Longboat Society. Rides are free, but donations are always welcome.
• 3:00PM–4:30PM Live Music performance by Naming the Twins. Shelburne Guild Hall, 11 Maiden Lane. Come out and listen to the Shelburne based harmony oriented singing duo of Robbie Smith and Kathleen Glauser with their entertaining brand of folk music.
• 4:30PM-5:00PM(TBD) TallShipsFarewell. Shelburne Marine Terminal, 95 Water Street. Watch as the visiting Tall Ships leave the Shelburne harbour with musical accompaniment by Piper Pat Melanson.