Flotilla continuing to grow

Amy
Amy Woolvett
Send to a friend

Send this article to a friend.

"We are coming to get you boys"

By Amy Woolvett

THE COAST GUARD

A flotilla of fishing boats, has been joined by three more and are heading out to sea in an effort to find five missing Shelburne County fishermen

“We are coming to get you boys,” wrote Justin Malone on Facebook.

Asked what the mission for the flotilla was, Malone said “to find our friends and bring them home.”

Malone, aboard the Lady Faith, has just left from Wood’s Harbour for the 14-hour trip to where the Miss Ally was last reported to be seen.

“We left because we know that the men of the Miss Ally would have done the same for us,” he wrote.

He told this newspaper that there were divers aboard another boat who were also on their way to the site of the Miss Ally.

The Miss Ally was carrying five of their friends when it capsized Sunday night.

After an extensive search in turbulent waters with 10-metre seas and hurricane force winds, search teams handed over the case to the RCMP as a missing persons case.

Families and the community have been pleading for the boat to be searched but are still awaiting a go from RCMP.

“We are just tired of getting no answer,” said Malone.

Two boat left the Woods Harbour wharf late Thursday afternoon; the Lady Faith and the Rachel Elizabeth. The fishing boat Crustracean Frustration left the Falls Point wharf a little more than an hour later which was also followed by an East Pubnico boat, the Slave Driver and 3 Generations.

George Hopkins, the father of missing fisherman Joel Hopkins, says a team of divers from eastern Nova Scotia are also on their way to search the Miss Ally.

Families of the five fishermen have been pressing for action to have the capsized boat searched by divers.

Hopkins was told it was too difficult and dangerous to either flip or search the vessel.

The RCMP has set up a command centre in Woods Harbour and was expected to decide its next actions later today.

The search for the 45-foot Miss Ally began Sunday night after an emergency locator beacon was activated at 11:06 p.m. about 120 kilometres south of Liverpool.

A life raft, spotted the next morning by and aircraft, was not seen again.

Organizations: RCMP, COAST GUARD

Geographic location: Shelburne County, Eastern Nova Scotia, Woods Harbour Liverpool

• 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5

Thanks for voting!

Top of page

Comments

Comments

Recent comments

• Steve
    February 22, 2013 - 10:52

As a diver for many years, I know what's takes place in the recovery of the fishing boat. In 2004 me and 4 divers and the help from other fishermen recovery a 40 foot fishing boat off the coast of Nova Scotia . If something happen to the divers doing this job it would be me have to tell there wive's ...but they had a job to do, and they did it the best they could. The fishing boat was returned to her wharf. I do hope they find the over turned Ally, I know there running out of time she made sink.. I posted some pictures on ( Peggy's cove webcam ) the day of the recovery... be safe fishermen and divers in your search and yes the boys could be inside the boat..the fishing boat we recovery sank in mins, they only had time to call out the GPS over the air.

• John
    February 22, 2013 - 09:57

I am proud of our Communities and the fishermen looking to give these famlies some closure. One of my sons is out there looking for answers I am so proud of him because his heart is in the right place.These men are puting the famlies, the community first something we all should be proud about. God says he won't give us anymore than we can stand sometimes we question this? But this situation will bring woods Harbour together forever and Woods Harbour will be more understanding with love of each other!!!!!!!!!

• Ray Morris
    February 22, 2013 - 09:16

I totally agree with the Concerned Neighbour Comment, Hard to believe that our Search and Rescue,Coast Guard and Navy, Would give up on such an IMPORTANT MISSION (a floating coffin with young fisherman inside) In such short time, God Bless You All(fisherman and families) P.S. God Bless and guide the fisherman back home, WHO have to go and TRY to bring their Brothers Back, While other,s are still planning on what too do ?????.

• Chris
    February 22, 2013 - 09:07

Gods Speed all citizens of Nova Scotia have their heads and prayers pointed to the ocean hopeing for a safe journey of the rescue partys and the brave fisherman , bring home your young boys...

• milly
    February 22, 2013 - 08:25

never give up ,,why don't they call in more army planes and search the shores a man could be freezing and starving , in need of help ,,there are 5 lost and may all be together praying for food and heat and a loving hand ,,and they do know their families are suffering their loss ,, I have hope if they get to them faster they can be saved ,,

• jim
    February 22, 2013 - 05:27

we should all pray that more lives are not lost in this endevor.

• Rich
    February 21, 2013 - 23:08

My heart goes out to the family and friends during this emotionally devastating time. In a time like this it's easy to blam the rational people trying to help. I can greatly understand the will of the community to want to do whats in their hearts and find these guys, and I probably would do the same...the blaming of other provinces and services is truly a black mark on your town. I get your mad ad frustrated and willing to risk your own life to search in unsafe conditions but the coast guard and RCMP would like to go home and their families at the end of the search effort. Again I feel sorry for the loss and suffering your community is in but really do we need to blame provinces, and other special services for not putting their lives at risk too, the outcome will likely be the same. I don't want to sound harsh but tired of reading about blame ottawa, blame Ontario' blame RCMP and coast guard...when it's safe they will dive and recover if possible.

• Gloria Culley
      February 22, 2013 - 11:25

Sorry to disagree with you, but I really don't see anywhere where "Ontario" has been blamed for anything. The Gov't, however, is a different matter. My question to them would be, "why, after two days of deplorable conditions on the sea, would they cancel the search when the weather started to calm?" Everyone realizes that recovery was impossible at that time, and no one wanted anyone else to die as a result. Saying that we have a black mark on our town because we want closure is typical coming from someone who has never experienced the kind of tragedies that happen here. I did not know these men, but 22 years ago I lost my only son at 20 years of age off the coast of Newfoundland and I can clearly feel their pain, and their anger. Now it is too late to bring them home as it appears the boat has sunk. This didn't have to happen. One more day and relatively calm seas may have given these grieving families the closure that is so badly needed.

• Rich
    February 21, 2013 - 23:03

• Anne
      February 22, 2013 - 06:33

This job is what the coast guard are trained for , it's what they are paid for , It's their living , they should stay on the job until the job is finished . Our boys risk their lives everyday they step in their boats , they go to feed and take care of their families , we can only ask the coast guard to do the same . Praying for comfort and peace from our GOD at this heart breaking time ,bless all the families.

• june
    February 21, 2013 - 22:46

God be with all you fishermen and divers as you search for the loved ones

• carol
    February 21, 2013 - 22:23

having lost a husband to the sea ,I want all of those boys brought back home so they will be with their families , its very hard to say goodbye and have no place to be able to put flowers except throw them in the sea may God Bless all of the famlies and I am still praying for them all to be found and brought home the light in my heart is burning bright and with great pain for those boys and their families.God bless all.

• sharon kearley
    February 21, 2013 - 22:21

Truly a tragedy that will be so much worse if those man are found too late and could have been saved. I truly hope they are hanging on somehow somewhere but if they are not i hope that the answers found show they did not suffer. Hats off those community members going above and beyond to do everything possible to get these young men home one way or the other its too bad the search and rescue operations were not taken as seriously. love and prayers to all involved

• janice
    February 21, 2013 - 22:02

Bless these men. Still praying theae boys are alive. Its a long shot but its a shot. God bless and hugs to their family, friends and communities.

• Allen
    February 21, 2013 - 21:42

Bring them home boys.

• mary
      February 21, 2013 - 22:41

my god be with you all and bring those boys home we will be praying all of you

• Ruby PEI
    February 21, 2013 - 21:11

Having grown up in a strong community of fishers-and married to one I have to say as I read this story tonight my tears flowed… God bless you all and keep you safe on your travels in your search, and I certainly pray that you are able to bring your boys home…. Many prayers being sent to you all!

• Diane Johnson
    February 21, 2013 - 20:44

What a wonderful gesture. Wishing you all luck and stay safe on the waters!!!Bring your boys home where they belong!!!God bless you all..

• Sharon
    February 21, 2013 - 20:43

My heart goes out to the families of these five young men. why did the Coast Guard not do something when it spotted the Miss Ally capsized on Monday??? There had to be air in the hull of that ship for it to be floating and those boys may have been in there still alive at that point. Even an explanation as to why may help settle people's minds some.

• gary Cook
      February 22, 2013 - 02:12

Many years ago we had a hull upside down in our area and when they were investigating what to do with it a man heard a faint noise, they tied the hull to several other boats and cut a hole in the bottom and there was a man still alive in it,every effort MUST be made.

• Candi Daley
    February 21, 2013 - 18:52

As proud as I have always been of our community, I have never been prouder than I am right now "Ohana means family and family means no one gets left behind or forgotten"..............

• Helen Murphy
    February 21, 2013 - 17:27

The shore line should be checked as well, there is always a chance that some of the men made it to the shore. I spent 9 years on Gull Rock as a Lightkeepers Daughter as well as 5 years on Scattari Island, I have seen a few shiprecks and seen how the ocean currants go. There is a possible chance the men made it to shore and are trying to survive while waiting to be rescued. They could be injured and weak as well.One fishing Schooner went ashore on Scattari lin a storm in 1955 and three men survived because my Dad walked 3 miles around the Island and brought them back to the light house till we could get help for them. Don't give up hope yet it is still to soon. May God guide the rescures to hey can hom

• Barbara
      February 21, 2013 - 19:03

Thank you Helen for that hope.

• Audrey
    February 21, 2013 - 17:23

You gotta love a community that comes together in a time of need....much love and respect to you all.

• sharon
      February 21, 2013 - 19:02

Iam so proud of these men. sometimes when no one else will help you have to do it yourself, Iam very proud to call myself a Cape Islander.I wish them luck and safety

• Sheila Sabean
    February 21, 2013 - 16:26

I'm praying for the safety of all who are heading out in search of the Miss Alley. Hoping and praying for the recovery of the boys and for closure for their families. God be with all involved!

• Shaun Hatfield
    February 21, 2013 - 16:24

The smallest pieces of plane from the Swiss Air disaster were sought so it could be glued back together, even when there was absolutely no hope of finding human life or remains. And, as tragic as that event was for so many, shouldn't we expect the same level of effort and courtesy for the possible sake of gathering 5 human lives/ remains from the floating hull of Miss Ally?

• Allen
      February 21, 2013 - 18:45

I do agree with everything Shaun is saying, but I pray that the Lord will look after those on their way to try and accomplish this.

• Concerned Neighbor
      February 21, 2013 - 19:56

Well put Shaun. My father was part of the Swiss Air recovery teams and anything that even resembled a piece of the plane, luggage, belongings, or remains from the size of a quarter upward was bagged, labelled and turned in. Just because "we" aren't "important" enough at this end of the province/country/world doesn't mean the Coast Guard and teams should call the search off after a few short days...despite the decrease in possibility of survival. They are/were all healthy, strong, young men. Let's not give up hope until we have evidence right before our eyes. For all you men that have left today to go after five of your own....PLEASE be strong, be safe, and go bring our boys home! I have never been prouder to say that I am from Shelburne County. No one gets left behind in our community!! Watch over these men God!

• pamela malone
      February 21, 2013 - 20:29

Well Said and Thanks

• Terry Crowell
      February 21, 2013 - 21:34

Well stated Shaun

• Crystal Copeland
    February 21, 2013 - 15:58

I am originally from Woods Harbour , currently residing in Alberta . Woods Harbour will always be my "home" because of the people. I cannot accept the fact that every effort possible was not made to find these five wonderful young men. It breaks my heart that maybe one or all of them had survived and were waiting to be rescued. They were young and strong and would not have given up . For us to give up on them under the assumption that " it is unlikely they could survive", is not acceptable!!! As long as there was the slightest chance that they survived and every possible effort was made then we could except it . But the Miss Ally was still there and the weather calmed, why was the search called off? My heart is with the men on their way as we speak to the fishing grounds where Miss Ally went down. God be with them and bring them closure.

• Arlene
    February 21, 2013 - 15:48

Way to go guys....stay safe...lets hope you get some answers...once you reach the miss ally...