A 24-year-old Yarmouth man has been sent for an assessment to explore the issue of fitness to stand trial and criminal responsibility after being charged with allegedly making a threat to engage in a shootout with members of the RCMP in Yarmouth.
Robert Edward Dorey, 24, appeared in Yarmouth provincial court on June 4, after being arrested the evening before at a residence on Pleasant Street. A fitness assessment was ordered during his court appearance.
According to the RCMP, at approximately 4 p.m. on June 3, members of the Yarmouth RCMP responded to a call indicating that threats had been made towards members of Yarmouth Town RCMP.
“A man had called a provincial news outlet and told them they should get a news crew to Yarmouth, because there was going to be a shootout with police that night,” states an RCMP media release.
RCMP officers were able to determine the man's location and contained a Pleasant Street residence.
“We used our resources and were able to get in touch with him by phone,” says RCMP Cpl. Jennifer Clarke.
Shortly before 5 p.m., the man walked out of the residence and was arrested without incident.
The RCMP searched the home and did not locate any firearms.
Dorey is facing charges of uttering a threat by telephone to cause death or bodily harm to members of the Yarmouth RCMP. He is also charged with breach of an undertaking. That breach charge before that court states that Dorey failed to comply with the condition of a court undertaking to keep the peace and be of good behavior.
In addition to the charges laid on June 3, Dorey is facing six other charges that stem from incidents alleged to have happened in Meteghan Station on May 26. Charges filed with the provincial court include two counts of assaulting a peace officer; one count of resisting/obstructing a peace office; a charge of mischief and two counts of uttering threats to cause death or bodily harm.
Dorey’s next court appearance has been scheduled for June 17. Continued remand in custody was by consent.