SHELBURNE, N.S. – A new monument honouring the burial ground of 75 individuals who were residents at the Shelburne municipal home known as Alms House between 1885 to 1958 has been unveiled in the Pine Grove Cemetery in Shelburne.
The unveiling ceremony was held on Nov. 14.
Alms House opened in 1885 in Sandy Point and was rebuilt on the same location in 1914, after being destroyed by fire in September 1913. The home was closed and torn down in 1958.
During construction of the Sandy Point Consolidated Elementary School, which was later erected on the North side of the property, a cemetery was located containing many unmarked graves. These graves were relocated to Pine Grove Cemetery, in Shelburne, to make room for the school.
The new monument, which contains the names of all those buried there, replaces an old marker that had no names. Local resident Wally Buchanan did the research to identify the deceased whose remains are at rest in the Pine Grove gravesite, working with municipal staff to bring the project to reality.
The Municipality of Shelburne identified the replacement of Alms House grave marker as a priority for 2018.
The names of the 75 people at rest in the Alms House burial ground in the Pine Grove Cemetery are etched on the reverse of the new Alms House monument.
OTHER STORIES FROM THE REGION OF UNMARKED GRAVES: