CENTREVILLE, CAPE SABLE ISLAND - A family of four have been left without a home after fire extensively damaged their house in Centreville on Wednesday evening (Dec. 12).
Adam and Lyndsey Kenney and their two small children were not at home when the fire broke out.
The call came in around 6:25 p.m., said chief of the Island Barrington Passage Fire Department, Dwayne Hunt. “I arrived just before the trucks and flames were rolling out the living room window,” he said.
Fire crews knocked down the bulk of the fire quickly, spending the next two hours finding and extinguishing hot spots. Hunt said the main fire damage was in the living room and kitchen with heavy heat, smoke and water damage to the rest of the house. “The cause appears to be electrical in the area of the entertainment center,” he said. The home was insured.
A family pet perished as a result of the fire. Hunt said firefighters found the cat but were unable to revive it.
Barrington Port LaTour and Woods Harbour Shag Harbour volunteer fire departments also responded to the call, which was the fourth house fire on Cape Sable Island in three weeks.
A Christmas toy drive has been initiated by CME Barrington for the two children, a five-year-old girl and a three-year-old boy. Any donations or gifts can be dropped off at the machine shop, which is located in Barrington Passage, next to the DFO offices and the EHS ambulance bay.