Israel-Hamas War: 30,000 Palestinians Killed, Gaza Health Ministry Says

Rafah, Gaza Strip (AB) – A strike At least 70 people were killed in a crowd of Palestinians waiting for humanitarian aid in Gaza City early Thursday, health officials said, bringing the death toll since the start of the Israel-Hamas war to more than 30,000.

Gaza City and the surrounding areas to the north of the enclave were Israel's first targets Air, sea and land attackResponse initiated Hamas' October 7 attack. The region has suffered widespread destruction and has been largely isolated during the conflict. Trucks carrying food reached northern Gaza this week, officials said Wednesday, the first major aid delivery to the region in a month.

Difficulty coordinating with the Israeli military, ongoing hostilities and a breakdown in public order have made it nearly impossible to deliver humanitarian aid in much of Gaza, aid groups say. About a quarter of Gaza's 2.3 million Palestinians, the UN says Face starving; About 80% have fled their homes.

In the wake of Thursday's strike, doctors saw “dozens or hundreds” lying on the ground, said Fares Afana, head of the ambulance service at Kamal Adwan Hospital. He said there were not enough ambulances to take all the dead and injured and some were brought to hospitals on donkey carts.

The Al Jazeera network showed footage of the dead and injured being brought to another nearby hospital, Shifa, after the strike on a main road running along the Mediterranean coast.

In addition to the dozens killed in Thursday's strike, another 280 people were injured, according to Health Ministry spokesman Ashraf al-Khitra.

See also  Washington holds off Oregon to win final Pac-12 championship, all but a College Football Playoff spot

The Israeli military said it was investigating reports of the attack.

Separately, the health ministry said the number of Palestinians killed in the war had risen to 30,035, with 70,457 injured. Its statistics do not distinguish between civilians and combatants, but say two-thirds of those killed were women and children.

The ministry, which is part of the Hamas-run government in Gaza, Maintains detailed records of casualties. Its figures from previous wars largely match those of the UN, independent experts and Israel's own figures.

A Hamas attack in southern Israel that sparked the war killed 1,200 people, mostly civilians, and militants took about 250 hostages. Hamas and other militants are still in the grip About 100 hostages The remains of another 30, after the release of other prisoners during the November ceasefire.

Growing alarm over starvation across Gaza has fueled international calls for another ceasefire, with the United States, Egypt and Qatar scrambling to preserve it. A cease-fire agreement between Israel and Hamas and the release of some of the hostages.

Mediators hope to reach an agreement before the start of the Muslim holy month of Ramadan on March 10. But so far, Israel and Hamas remain the same. Far too public for their demands.

Meanwhile, UN officials have warned of further mass casualties if Israel follows through on its pledge to attack. A town south of RafahMore than half of Gaza's population of 2.3 million have sought refuge. They also say the Rafah attack could wipe out the remaining aid operation.

Hundreds of thousands of Palestinians are believed to remain in northern Gaza despite Israel's order to evacuate the area in October, with many forced to eat animal fodder to survive. One in six children under the age of 2 in the North suffers from severe malnutrition and wasting, according to the UN.

See also  5 Memphis officers open fire on traffic stop that turns deadly

COGAT, the Israeli military body responsible for Palestinian civil affairs, said about 50 aid trucks entered the northern Gaza Strip this week. It is not known who provided the assistance. Some countries have meanwhile resorted to airdrops in recent days.

The World Food Program said earlier this month that Suspends supplies to the North Due to the growing chaos, frustrated Palestinians evacuated a convoy as it was en route.

Since launching its offensive on Gaza following the October 7 offensive by Hamas, Israel has banned the entry of food, water, medicine and other goods from Egypt to the south at the Rafah crossing and Israel's Kerem Shalom crossing. Despite international calls to allow more aid, the number of supply trucks is far below the 500 daily arrivals before the war.

COGAT said on Wednesday that Israel does not impose limits on the amount of aid entering. Israel and the UN said hundreds of trucks were waiting for aid workers on the Palestinian side of Kerem Shalom.

On Wednesday, UN spokesman Stephane Dujarric said large trucks entering Gaza were supposed to be unloaded and loaded into smaller vehicles, but there were not enough of them and Gaza lacked security to distribute aid.

Hamas-run police in Gaza stopped protecting convoys after Israeli attacks.

___

Sehayeb reported from Beirut.

___

Learn more about AP's coverage https://apnews.com/hub/israel-hamas-war

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *