Arrested in Texas High School Cheerleader Murder

The suspect was captured on Saturday, police said.

A suspect has been arrested in the slaying of Texas high school cheerleader Lizbeth Medina, who was found dead in the bathtub of her home by her mother on Tuesday.

The suspect, identified as Rafael Govia Romero, was arrested Saturday in Schulenburg, Texas, and charged with murder in the slaying of the 16-year-old victim, police said.

Texas Rangers and Edna police arrested Romero in Schulenburg, about 75 miles north of Etna, and he was taken to the Jackson County Jail, Etna Police Chief Rick Boone said in a statement Sunday. Details of the arrestee were not immediately released.

Medina was scheduled to perform with her cheerleading squad in the Christmas parade in Etna on Tuesday, her mother, Jacqueline Medina, told the Houston ABC station. K.T.R.K.

But when the teenager didn’t show up, her mother said she went looking for her and eventually found her unresponsive in their apartment.

Romero’s capture came a day after the Edna Police Department announced it was searching for a person and vehicle of interest in Medina’s murder. Romero’s arrest also came as Edna’s classmates and community residents held a candlelight vigil for Medina Saturday evening at a gazebo outside the Jackson County Courthouse in Edna.

See also  Jennifer Lopez cancels summer tour: 'I'm absolutely heartbroken and devastated'

“Despite Romero’s arrest, we recognize that Elizabeth’s family and friends are grieving and still need the support of the community,” Boone said. “Etna’s citizens can now rest in peace.”

Before Romero’s arrest, Edna police on Saturday released photos of a person and vehicle of interest in the case.

The man of interest was described by police as possibly having a tattoo behind his right ear and was seen in the footage wearing a black Volcom hooded sweatshirt. He was driving a 2010 to 2018 silver Ford Taurus, police said.

Police have not said if Medina and Romero had any prior relationship or if the attack was a random incident.

Police have released few details about Medina’s death. The post-mortem report is yet to be released.

Jacqueline Medina said she and her family moved to Edna, about 25 miles northeast of Victoria in southeast Texas, last year.

Her daughter was honored before her school’s football game Thursday night, where the cheerleading squad and her family wore the teenager’s favorite color, purple.

“My head is spinning all over the place, I want answers, I want justice,” Jacqueline Medina told KTRK.

She said her daughter had a “beautiful heart” and would give anyone the shirt off her back.

“You took an angel from me, not just from me, but from so many people who love her,” Jacqueline Medina said.

ABC News’ Meredith Deliso contributed to this report.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *