Aljamine Sterling’s UFC bantamweight title reign began as a point of contention for those who didn’t consider him a legitimate champion. Sterling was disappointed with the way he won the belt after then-champion Petr Yan took an illegal knee against him during their title fight at UFC 259 on March 6, 2021.
Now, ahead of Sterling’s title defense Saturday against Sean O’Malley at UFC 292 at TD Garden in Boston, the “Funk Master” must be very happy with his championship resume. And fans who don’t are simply haters. Because not only did Sterling beat Elephant in the rematch, but he’s also racked up enough wins to be considered by some – including respected UFC broadcaster John Anick – as the bantamweight code.
A loss Saturday certainly puts that legendary title in question, but there’s no doubt Sterling is the best to make it in the UFC’s 135-pound division. And oddsmakers don’t see a loss in Sterling’s future, as he is currently a -250 favorite at BetMGM to defeat No. 2 O’Malley, who is a +200 underdog, in Saturday’s Main Event.
The co-main event features another title clash between strawweight champion Jang Wailey and challenger Amanda Lemos. Lemos thinks he’s flying under the radar going into the bout against the two-time champion and believes he has all the technical advantages over Zhang.
Follow the entire card from the preliminaries to the two title fights with our live tracker below:
Stream UFC 292 with BT Sport and save on PPV with ExpressVPN
UFC 292 – Main Card, Odds (Live Now on ESPN+ PPV)
• Bantamweight Championship: Aljamine Sterling (C) (-250) vs. Sean O’Malley (+200)
• Women’s Strawweight Championship: Zhang Weiley (C) (-320) vs. Amanda Lemos (+250)
• Welterweight: Neil Magney (+375) vs. Ian Machado Carey (-500)
• Bantamweight: Da’mon Blackshear (+170); Mario Bautista (-210)
• Bantamweight: Marlon Vera def. Pedro Munoz via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 29-28)
UFC 292 – Prelims card results, highlights
• Middleweight: Brad Tavares def. Chris Weidman via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)
• Middleweight: Gregory Rodriguez def. Denis Duliuline by KO (ground and pound) at 1:43 of R1:
• Lightweight: Kurt Holobach def. Austin Hubbard by submission (triangle choke) at 2:39 of R2
• Bantamweight: Brad Katona def. Cody Gibson via unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 30-27)
UFC 292 – Early Prelims Card Results, Highlights
• Middleweight: Andre Petrosky def. Gerald Mearshard split decision (29-28, 28-29, 29-28)
• Women’s flyweight: Natalia Silva def. Andrea Lee via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)
• Women’s Flyweight: Karin Silva def. Marina Moroz via submission (guillotine) at 4:59 of R1:
Why you can trust us: We may earn a commission from the links on this page, but we only recommend products we trust. Price and availability subject to change.