On the scene of the capsized Miss Ally. PHOTO RELEASED BY RCMP
The RCMP, the Department of National Defence (DND) and the Canadian Coast Guard completed their assessment of the Miss Ally early on Sunday, Feb. 24.
At 8:30 a.m. a remotely operated vehicle underwater (ROV) from HMCS Glace Bay entered the water and conducted an assessment of the over-turned hull of the Miss Ally.
The ROV captured imagery of the over-turned vessel to allow the Fleet Diving Unit to assess the situation. Upon reviewing the images the unit recommended that additional diving operations were not required.
The assessment confirmed the Miss Ally sustained significant damage. The wheelhouse and sleeping quarters were not attached to the vessel.
No bodies of the five missing fishermen were located.
"On behalf of the RCMP, Department of National Defence and the Coast Guard we would like to express our sincerest condolences to the families,” said RCMP Superintendent Sylvie Bourassa-Muise.
With the assessment complete, Joint Task Force Atlantic concluded its air and water operations in support of the RCMP. HMCS Glace Bay was to return to regular duties.
The Canadian Coast Guard vessel, the Sir William Alexander, has concluded its support to safety and security in the vicinity of the vessel and will resume normal operations.
The RCMP said with the completion of air and water operations, it is concluding its activities on the ground in Woods Harbour, but said it will continue to provide support to the families and the community members of Woods Harbour.
The crew of the Miss Ally included Katlin Nickerson, Joel Hopkins, Stephen Cole Nickerson, Tyson Townsend and Billy Jack Hatfield. They were young fishermen, ranging in age from their early 20s to early 30s.
The crew had been on the water for days halibut fishing trip when the boat got caught in a Feb. 17 storm that was accompanied by 10-metre seas and hurricane-force winds.