Miss Ally found, divers readying for mission

Greg
Greg Bennett
Send to a friend

Send this article to a friend.

RCMP in Woods Harbour confirmed the overturned hull of Miss Ally was sighted by one of the planes patrolling the area around 10 a.m Saturday morning.

The coast guard ship Sir William Alexander and at least one fishing vessel have reached the Miss Ally, confirmed sources in Woods Harbour. Dive teams are getting ready to take to the water to conduct an assesment of the vessel.   The overturned fishing boat was rediscovered after two days of finding nothing but debris and open ocean.

George Hopkins, the father of one of the missing fishermen said he received an unofficial phone call this morning followed shortly after by another from the RCMP confirming the discovery of the capsized boat by air force planes.

Hopkins says three fishing boats with divers on board were converging on the location.

Families of the fishermen are hopeful the vessel will provide some of the answers needed about what happened.

The Miss Ally capsized in in a storm Sunday night. The search for the five missing fishermen was called off more than 36 hours later.

The hull of the capsized vessel has been the focus of attention in recent days as pressure has been mounting for officials to bring the vessel into port under tow or searched by divers so answers to the tragedy can be found.

The capsized vessel was lost for more than two days and was feared sunk before the latest reports.

We will have more updates on this breaking story as soon as they are available.

Organizations: RCMP

• 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5

Thanks for voting!

Top of page

Comments

Comments

Recent comments

• ANN
    February 24, 2013 - 11:16

Please be with the families at this very hard time give the strength

• tignish pei
    February 24, 2013 - 01:04

these young men have been in our prayers at all the masses at out church on the weekend and we have a very powerful Priest who is praying for them and also all the community of Tignish i could almost sense it at mass today that the Lord is going to be bringing theses boys home to their families for closure Miracles do happen

• Leslie Kuhn from Yarmouth nova scotia now in Alberta
    February 23, 2013 - 20:58

To the 5 brave men on the Miss Ally all our wishes and prayers go out to you and your families this day and allways. With hopes of finding the reasons why and to better understand what happened. I hope for a speedy recovery and answers to all the questions the familys may have. Sincerly Yours LESLIE KUHN.

• Anita
    February 23, 2013 - 20:45

Simply no words could express the sadness we feel for these families..I pray for strength to get them through & finally Closure.God be with all the families, & love them through what ever news comes there way. Be also with Pastors , & Priest give them Strength & Wisdom to minister. Also with the people who are out there searching keep them safe.

• Diane Carson
    February 23, 2013 - 19:43

My thoughts and prayers are with you all !! My heart breaks for all of you. May God be with you all!!

• Liz
    February 23, 2013 - 19:18

A tragedy for sure but we must remember that the coast guard is made up of men and women who also have families. It is completely understandable to call of the search and not endanger more lives. If you do not like the way it was done it may be time for you to walk for a day in the shoes of the Coast Guard and their brave men and women. I for one cannot understand the fishermens' reasoning in going to sea when such a storm was forecast. Mother Nature is a tough lady to reason with when we do not use good common sense. The loss for these families was great but it could have been more people facing the same tradgedy had the higher powers not used common sense. Praying for all.

• Audrey-Cape Breton
    February 23, 2013 - 17:36

My Thoughts and Prayers are with everyone in Woods Harbour....may you find the strength you need at this time. I do hope the families find closure. I realize so much time as past but I am still praying the guys will be found alive. God Bless all of you.

• Linda
    February 23, 2013 - 17:19

My heart goes out to the family .. and pray that they find the men and bring them home ..

• MARY QUIRKE
    February 23, 2013 - 17:19

MY THOUGHTS AND PRAYERS ARE WITH ALL THE FAMILIES AT THIS TIME.MAY GOD GIVE YOU ALL THE STRENGTH TO HELP YOU ALL THROUGH THIS MOST DIFFICULT TIME.GOD BLESS YOU ALL.

• You judge to quickly
    February 23, 2013 - 17:19

I know it is hard for people to understand why a search is called off but dont be so quick to judge. These men put their lives on the line on a regular basis. The conditions were unsafe,Im sure people dont want another tragedy on top of this one. As a fisherman i know the perils of going to sea,but in the end it is my decision to go out in spite of a brewing storm in the forecast. It's a hard way to make a living and one of the most dangerous jobs there is. God bless these boys and their families,

• Sue
      February 23, 2013 - 19:25

It is difficult to understand, for sure. It's human nature I think to always want a happy ending, and to feel the need to have a place to lay blame. My prayers now are that the search team comes home safely, and that the families of these boys are able to find peace.

• Jeremy Curtis
    February 23, 2013 - 15:52

Thoughts And Prayers Going Out To The Families! I am From Miramichi N.B Worked In Shelburne 3 or 4 times. Very Friendly And Close Community. God Bless Those Boys!

• Kate
    February 23, 2013 - 15:50

Believe in the best outcome that you can. These brave divers will do all they can to help all the families and at the end of it all, I pray eveyone will have closure. I believe in miracles and I am praying for everyone. God bless you all.

• Cindy - Bridgewater
    February 23, 2013 - 14:45

Tears are falling as I write this. My thoughts and prayers are with the families and friends of these five young men. I hope they will get the answers that they are so looking for. May God bless them all and keep them in his warm embrace.

• Colleen
    February 23, 2013 - 14:45

My thoughts and prayers are with the families of these brave fishermen...

• celine fraser
    February 23, 2013 - 14:42

Please God bring these young boys home, closure is so important, it is just another tragedy, not to find them, praying for all these boys, their families and all the community, God Bless.

• Carla Martin-Wood
    February 23, 2013 - 14:22

I live in the southern US, but the plight of these young fishermen has been on my mind and heart from the moment I heard of it. I send my best thoughts and prayers to the families and hope for peace and resolution.

• Donna
    February 23, 2013 - 14:08

I believe in miracles..hope they find all five. Sending prayers to all the families.!

• Joanne M
    February 23, 2013 - 14:00

Dear Jesus, please give comfort to these families. A miracle would be a wonderful thing right now - maybe an air pocket where they are still hanging on - I know it's highly unlikely, but stranger things have happened, right?

• philip
    February 23, 2013 - 14:00

praying the boys are still on that boatso family can get the closure they need our prayers go out to you all

• DENNIS MACLEOD
    February 23, 2013 - 13:55

I fished the draggers years ago when I was 15 years old,grand banks,storms,a job only for the brave and a man with no fear,but you know it's in your blood and the strong survive as the familys of these brave men,who hopefully may have survived,personally I think as usual,they called off the search to soon,how are they going to feel if they happen to find someone in the hull of the boat,hopeing they do for the good or the bad,it will bring some closure to the poor familyies.I was a coal miner and was in 3 major explosions so I know the word fear very well.To the familys God BLESS YOU,and your loved ones all Nova Scotia is praying for you.

• Natalie
    February 23, 2013 - 13:49

God be with the crew and their families!!

• joanne dentremont
    February 23, 2013 - 13:48

i would like to send my heart felt thoughts and prayers for the missing men and their family and friends this is such a tragic event i pray that they find the boys for there mom and dads and families my husband was a fisherman and i couldnt imagine going threw that but we did loose a dear friend to us the same way so we know what you are going threw love and prayers are with you

• Cindy Burt
    February 23, 2013 - 13:46

God bless the men and their families.

• Jo-Anne
    February 23, 2013 - 13:43

Our hearts go out to all the families & friends of these young men xoxo. Bring them home to rest in peace & serenity forever.

• Jill
    February 23, 2013 - 13:15

This is so tragic, I don't understand why the search was called off, and if they seen a life raft why dident they get to it ASAP is ant that what the coast guards and search and rescue are trained for! ... Makes me literly sick to my stomach !.. * sending lots of prayers to these families

• DELLA WRIGHT
    February 23, 2013 - 13:02

THANK GOD THEY FOUND THE BOAT AGAIN..NOW LETS PRAY THE DIVERS WILL BE ABLE TO FIND THE FIVE YOUNG MEN SO THE FAMILIES AND FRIENDS CAN HAVE SOME CLOSURE..THINKING OF YOU ALL AND MAY GOD BLESS YOU ALL...

• marvin
    February 23, 2013 - 12:58

this is good new for the familys,hope things will be a bit easyer for you now, so try to keep warm to get through this. a manys blessing to all of you

• Karen
      February 23, 2013 - 13:43

From a fellow Nova Scotian; May God bless and keep you, make His face to shine upon you and bring you peace. Many prayers going out to you and yours, along with the community..

• CARROLL BAKER
      February 23, 2013 - 14:18

To all the families of all the Fishermen, I have been praying so very hard for this to happen in hopes it can help you all in some small way. I can only imagine your pain, and I will be singing the song that I wrote for the Fishermen THE BLESSING OF THE FLEET. It will be in my heart and the melody and words on my lips for a long time to come. God bless you all and God Bless the Fishermen all, we love you. CARROLL BAKER C.M.

• JUDY
    February 23, 2013 - 12:54

MY SYMPATHIES TO ALL THE FAM. KEEPING YOU IN MY PRAYERS AND THOUGHTS. MAY GOD GIVE YOU STRENGH TO HELP YOU THROUGH THIS DIFFICULT AND SAD TIME. GOD BLESS.

• Theresa Turner
    February 23, 2013 - 12:53

My thought's and prayer's are with you all at this very sad time.... God bless.

• Lacey
    February 23, 2013 - 12:50

Any new news ?

• Collie and Eleanor Nickerson
    February 23, 2013 - 12:44

Thank God the boat has been found may He grant a miracle for these families this day. Our prayers go out to all the families.

• Elsie Hartlen
    February 23, 2013 - 12:43

My heart and prayers go to all the familes and may God bring you a mircle.

• roger barnes
    February 23, 2013 - 12:41

although I live thousunds of miles away I spent some time in Woods Harbour and know many of its people I have been following this through Judy Watkins & the Shelbern news paper We have been praying for the familys & for a good outcome from this accedent we share the saddness from the bottom of our hearts God bless each of you

• Chris
    February 23, 2013 - 12:37

This is a very tragic occurrence, but just one of the many risks of going to sea. CBC even interviewed a fisherman who stated: "nobody is to blame." My father told me in my first outing, that anything could happen and to always be prepared. We knew the risks. One can understand the anxiety of the families. I believe that many of the persons criticizing would be the last to sign up for what is essentially a "recovery" mission. Condolences to all the families.

• Dave Carey
    February 23, 2013 - 12:30

PRAYING AND HOPING THEY FIND THSES 5 BOYS AND HELP CLOSURE TO THERE DEAR FAMILIES !!! MY HEART !! MY THOUGHTS !! AND MY PRAYERS GO OUT TO ALL INVOLVED !! LORD PLEASE HERE OUR PRAYERS !! MAY GOD BLESS !!

• capegal
    February 23, 2013 - 12:22

That is wonderful news I hope and will pray for the divers safty and the families. A very sad accident but to recover the bodies may give the families some closure.....my heart breaks for you all. Born and rasied a samll fishing village I can not even begin to imagine what they are going through god bless you all.

• Clare Citizen
    February 23, 2013 - 12:20

Our thoughts and prayers are with you.We are also in a fishing community.Our families take alot of risk as they go make a living.We send our love to the families.We hope you get answers soon.Thank god they're finally going to go see with the divers.Our best to all the community.

• Bernadette MacLellan
    February 23, 2013 - 12:19

May God's Angels be watching over the boys and the divers who will be venturing in that water. Praying for all that are hurting from this terrible tragedy.

• Deb LeBlanc-Kerr
    February 23, 2013 - 12:08

I am thankful the Miss Ally has been found, having lost family members that were never found I understand how important it is for all the families to have the men back to lay them to rest.As far as closure,I think that's a loaded word,yes they will hopefully have them back,but forever they will wonder why this happened and why it was handled the way it has been.The answers to those questions won't bring these men back to live life to it's fullest,but maybe changes can be made now so that future tragedies will be handled differently. My thoughts and prayers are with all of the families of these brave hardworking young men.May they be comforted in knowing their loved ones will never be forgotten.

• Lorraine Saulnier
    February 23, 2013 - 12:03

God bless the families, God , give them strength

• Alice Latter MacKinnon
    February 23, 2013 - 11:44

Saint Maria Faustina,please create a miracle for the families of these boys.

• Nancy Mason
      February 23, 2013 - 12:08

Praying the divers find these 5 brave young fishermen... calling off the search was totally wrong, that should never have occurred...Bess the Family's dear Lord...

• john hood
    February 23, 2013 - 11:43

I want to see closure for the familiea but it seems to me that there are a sack full of questions that are confusing at the very least that must be answered honestly, Our whole rescue procedure is being questioned

• nicole silver
    February 23, 2013 - 11:38

i feel that they should look harder for those men their family deserves closure my heart goes out to those familys of the missing men ur all in my thoughts and prayers

• Helen Boucher
    February 23, 2013 - 11:26

this is good news but hope they find the young men prayers go out to the men and their families God Bless you

• concerned
    February 23, 2013 - 11:17

It is simply unacceptable that this so called new and improved effecient way of searching for those lost boys overlook the obvious of searching the boat when first sighted. It is understandable that the waves were too high at the time; but, to completely give up on the boat is absured and lacks common sense. God Bless those boys and their families.

• angela
      February 23, 2013 - 13:36

totally agree...

• Barbara
    February 23, 2013 - 11:01

Please God of all miracles let them find the boys inside still alive even if theyre just holding on for dear life. I know somehow they would know their families won't give up on them and pray they wouldnt give up on each other.

• bonnie flemming
    February 23, 2013 - 10:37

I truly hope that they find these young men and that their families can have closure. I can't even start to say i know how they are feeling..My thoughts are with the family.

• angie
    February 23, 2013 - 10:24

I think its just horrible that the search was called off. Many thoughts and prayers go out to the families. God bless u all

• Karen Porter
    February 23, 2013 - 10:22

I hope they find the boys. Heartbreaking.

• C Thibeau
      February 23, 2013 - 12:52

My thoughts and prayers are with all of you!

• beatrice jubb
      February 23, 2013 - 13:47

my thoughts and prayers go out to all the family anf friend of the lost young men i hope they find the young men so the familys can have some closure may god bless you all.

• Pei
      February 23, 2013 - 15:10

I find it vary sad on how they gave up after a few days of searching I can only images how the family would feel hearing that news that the search was done I hope the boys are on land somewhere waiten for there rescue