An early morning fire last Wednesday (May 30), which was spotted by the paper carrier while on his route, has damaged a home on Sherose Island.
“The call came in at 5:25,” said Michael Swim, deputy fire chief for the Island and Barrington Passage Fire Department. “When we arrived on the scene there was heavy fire coming out the back side of the house.”
The Barrington 7-E and Woods Harbour/Shag Harbour fire departments also responded to the blaze, while the Port Clyde and Port LaTour fire departments provided backup and standby support.
Swim said firefighters had the fire knocked down within a half hour, and were able to clear the scene in about two hours.
No one was home at the time the fire broke out. The cause of the fire was “a chimney fire gone bad,” said Swim.
As for damages, Swim the house sustained fairly heavy smoke and water damage, and minimal fire damage. The structure was insured.